Thursday, May 7, 2009

On the Disorienting and Abrupt Character of Video Skype


Walking away, 

You slowly fade and become the earth and sky.

I know you will slide off the horizon 

at some moment, but it will be indistinguishable from

the one before or after.

And while my heart aches

I feel like the pace at which we move apart

is just.


These days, continuous spectrums 

of presence and absence

have gone discrete. 

You live in machines

and I turn you on and off, and

with a precise-enough instrument

I can determine the exact time at which 

Your voice and your face vanish.

These days, there is no slipping away;

There is only sudden death. 


It is a threat to the color grey, imagination, rainbows,

all that is in the business of blurring lines

and uncovering wholeness.


But I should not forget my own message.

I should not neglect the natural and obvious corollary:

The miracle of the unexpected resurrection. 

No comments: